Raise your hand if you thought growing a blog was WAY easier than it actually turned out to be..
I’ll be the first to admit that all those AWESOME articles I found on Pinterest of “starting a blog in 5 minutes” or making a bajillion dollars each month had me totally PUMPED.
Then, I started blogging.
And it wasn’t actually that easy LOL.
There’s a lot of strategy behind blogging– stuff that none of us ever learned in school. I certainly didn’t, I was a nurse!
There’s a TON of trial and error especially if you don’t have a foundational course that walks you through everything step-by-step.
Let me break down the “essential steps” to building a successful blog:
- Start a self-hosted blog
- Figure out your ideal reader (avatar)
- Install a pretty theme, create a logo, and make your actual site presentable and nice
- Create a lot of awesome foundational content with some killer pins so you can get some traffic
- Sign up for an email service provider so you have a way to collect emails
- Create a freebie incentive for those that want to join your email list
- Grow your list and nurture them with weekly emails that provide value
- Create a product or find an awesome affiliate product
- Sell it to your list
Ok sounds pretty simple, right?
I mean, how can anyone think that’s hard?
(Actually, looking at my list– it still sounds hard… BUT with a nice title like “Start a Blog in LESS than 10 Easy Steps” it doesn’t sound so bad 😜)
But the thing is, it’s actually a TON more work than that…
- Start a self-hosted blog
- Wait, what’s self-hosted? I have a WordPress blog is that self-hosted?
- Ok no, I have the free one– that’s not self-hosted.. let’s start over.
- Buy a domain name and hosting
- Install WordPress
- Open WordPress and look like this –> 😨
- What the WHAT? Ok, open youtube and spend 4 hours watching WordPress tutorials
- Ok, my blog is NOT pretty, let’s buy a theme
- Wait, I need a logo
- How do I install this theme?
- Ok it’s installed. Whew.
- Install ads
- Now, let’s figure out my avatar
- Write a blog post
- Realize I’m awful at spelling and grammar, download Grammarly
- Ok, post is up- let’s promote it
- Figure out Canva
- Figure out what makes a decent pin and learn design
- Learn a social media strategy and start promoting
- Write more content
- Over-analyze google analytics and become addicted to checking my stats
- Wait, I forgot about the email list
- Ok sign up for an email service provider
- Learn to install forms
- Create that freebie
- Hook up the automation of my emails so the freebie is delivered
- Write more content
- Email my list every week
- Check traffic again
- Create a media kit in case someone ever wants a sponsored post from me
- Drive more traffic to my opt-ins
- Start adding affiliate links to content and updating for SEO (because I’m just now realizing that’s important)
- Write more content
- Pin pin pin pin pin
- Make more opt-ins
- Ok list is growing, let’s make a product
- Oh boy…
The funny part is this is only a FRACTION of what bloggers actually go through trying to grow a blog. It’s no joke. And it’s HARD!!
Don’t get overwhelmed– If you found this post and you don’t know who I am, I actually figured all this out AND make a full-time income doing it. If I can do it, anyone can.
But I’m also super honest and transparent and want to make this clear:
>> You are NOT the only one that’s struggling.
>> You are NOT the only one that thought this blogging thing was a lot easier before you started blogging.
>> And it’s a LOT more than those “less than 10 steps” that Pinterest article might have you believe.
This is why I wanted to come up with a simple, quick-win challenge for those wanting to really nail down some of these steps. Plus, there are templates to help you complete each challenge because I wanted it to be as easy as possible to implement each lesson.
Day One: Blog Visual Optimization
While I’m not going to teach you how to design an entire blog in one day, I’m going to show you exactly how to optimize what you already have without having to know one BIT of code.
The fact is that there are some simple design changes you can make to any blog that will help increase conversions, improve SEO, and create a beautiful and professional appearance for your readers.
Not to mention, the easier your reader can navigate your blog– the better experience they’ll have.
Day two: Social Media
Who’s got time to try to learn how to create a pin that actually converts to clicks?
This lesson is going to be a video lesson on designing pins, a demonstration in Canva and free templates to make it happen.
Pinterest LOVES new content, so even if you don’t have time to crank out a new post each and every day. If you can at least release a new PIN for old content, you’ll be ahead of the game!
Creating a pin and choosing stock photos takes practice but it’s really not that hard. I’ve done it for several years, for MANY bloggers and brands and I’ve broken down the steps into a sort of “system”.
The thing is, no one taught us in my graphic design classes how to do a pin. Graphic design concepts merged with social media strategy, marketing, and blogger is an entire skill set that I (like most bloggers) had to learn.
The piece that most bloggers miss? Design concepts that make for an eye-catching and stunning pin that people really want to CLICK.
Day three: Lead magnets
This day is crucial. You can write content, you can make the perfect pin, you can get ALL the traffic in all the world but if you have no way to capture people onto your email list then you are losing out on income. Big time!
Lead magnets don’t have to be super complicated or take a ton of time to design. In fact, you probably guessed it, the challenge has done-for-you templates for this lesson as well. All you need to do is change the colors to match your brand and add your content.
As for thinking of lead magnets, we will address this too. I honestly believe that building an email list should be TOP priority from day ONE for any blogger in any niche.
I didn’t do this with my first blog and it really showed. Growing and nurturing that list from the very beginning makes all the difference.
Lead magnets can also be used as freebies for your current list (trust me, people love this– it’s a GREAT way to nurture your audience). Then, you can repurpose as an opt-in for future subscribers.
So many people get stuck on the ideas. They get stuck on design. They stare at the blank page in Canva and freeze. This challenge is all about getting you to take action that will move your blog forward.
Simple, easy to achieve steps
I can’t help you with all 37+ steps in just 3 days. However, I CAN give you simple to achieve, actionable challenges that, when implemented– will boost what you have and help you grow your blog faster.
Optimize what you have, create amazingly beautiful pins, and grow your list faster with irresistible lead magnets. Let’s tackle these things together. Let’s DESIGN your blog growth (see the pun there?).
Sign up for the FREE challenge now! Just click the button below!
FREE CHALLENGE: DESIGNS THAT CONVERT
Optimize what you have, get more traffic from your pins, and build your list with irresistable lead magnets. Click below to register!
Joining me on this free challenge will also get you added to my email list + you'll get access to the free library of templates and tons of other freebies 🙂